The Go Slow Life and Fitness Activities

The Go Slow Life isn't necessarily about literally moving slowly every day, although we do encourage not rushing through life.  There are times when moving fast, moving intensely and moving with deliberate purpose are part of what we do.

Fitness Activities are one of those areas.  I believe wholeheartedly that any kind of physical activity is time well spent.  It is a rare circumstance when someone gets TOO much activity, and for those individuals, there are deeper discussions to be had.

For the general western population, the "Average American", no amount of physical activity is wasted.  I say this a lot in my group exercise classes -- 30 minutes is always better than zero minutes if 60 minutes isn't possible.  This is not to say that 60 minutes is a desired benchmark, but that is the typical duration of a group exercise class.

I personally love physical activity.  I love getting sweaty and I love the rush of a great, high-intensity workout.  I love playing sports and challenging myself physically.  I even love carrying both my young sons in my arms as far as I can (combined baby meat of about 65 lbs.) Over the years I've participated in and coached a variety of workouts including CrossFit, Orangetheory, BODYPUMP,  and RPM/Spinning.

Where does the Go Slow Life come into play with exercise?  Be present in your workout.  Be ALL IN in your workout.  Checking your phone, Instastorying your workout - those are the opposite of what The Go Slow Life calls for.  If you're at work, be at work.  Don't be half in/half out. 

The Go Slow Life calls for focus within your current effort.  Whatever that effort may be, be there with it. 

This is not to say that there is not discomfort within the effort and there isn't a normal, natural human reaction to looking for the exit ramp when it gets intense.  That is a primal human response to discomfort.  But The Go Slow Life encourages you to see the discomfort, acknowledge the discomfort and recommit to your values through the discomfort.  Don't check out on your phone when it gets tough.

xo
Chase

(Note: Discomfort does not mean injury, shortness of breath/ inability to catch breath, dizziness, chest pain or chest tightness.  Those are medical concerns that should be addressed immediately with a medical professional.  Discomfort is the natural stress/strain put on the muscles, lungs and heart during an exercise session.)







Comments

Popular Posts