The Go Slow Life and Demanding Coworkers and Clients

This topic that I've chosen for today's post is a tricky one, because I don't have it 100% figured out. That said, I don't think you can figure it out 100% at any time because people behave differently under different circumstances and every workplace is different. But here are some actionable steps to take when you have coworkers or clients that insist on making their emergency your emergency.

1) Avoid being passive aggressive.  First things first, it will not bring you peace when someone comes to you saying, "I need you to drop everything and do this!" and you say "OK." and then just don't do it out of an act of passive aggressiveness.  If you say you'll do it, then you should be underway working on it within a reasonable amount of time (within the hour).

2) Keep clear documentation of where you are at any one time so that you realistically can determine what is already up for deadline and what can be delayed to accommodate the urgent request.  I keep a running list of items on a website/app called ToodleDo.  In my full time job, I have about 19 different client organizations.  The website/app allows me to organize my tasks by client, then give them priority categories and deadlines, and reminds me with a daily email of the items due for that day or that I've starred for attention.  I can quickly click over to that list, see what's urgent for that day and determine whether or not I can fit in a separate project. 

3) Be prepared to say no.  And in that preparation, be prepared to hear anger/frustration/discontent when you say no.  Accept that you cannot please everyone at all times (easier said than done, I get it!).  But when you say no, it's because you've already looked at your calendar for the day and the deliverables you've already agreed to complete and you know that those are higher priority because you've already agreed to do them. 

4) Be clear in communication about the timeline of your workflow.  In the words of Brene Brown, clear is kind.  If the situation is such that you MUST take on this new, urgent task, then you know exactly who else you've promised deliverables to in the meantime, then you can reach out to them and say, "Something has come up today and I'll need to push this to tomorrow.  Is that acceptable for your timeline?"  If you can't fathom making that call for the existing client deliverable, then you cannot take on the new urgent task.  Don't vague your way to deliverable deadlines and try to squeeze them both in, and end up missing the mark on both.

5) Be prepared to hold your boundary on the end time of your workday.  Same as #3, expect to hear anger/frustration/discontent.  If you have a plan to end your workday at a certain time for any reason, stick to that plan.  If you do not hold your boundary on your own workday, you will end up working all hours of the day (and weekend) for clients and coworkers.  If you don't mind working late or working on weekends, that is your prerogative, but if you grow excessively fatigued or resentful for having to work late to meet deliverables, that is a flag that you are not holding your boundary and managing deliverable timelines appropriately.  If you get fired for not working late/weekends on demand for clients and coworkers, then us here at The Go Slow Life sees that as a blessing and an opportunity to realign professional goals with a keen desire to live in the present and cultivate peace in a busy world.  (Side story, I once didn't get a job that I was highly qualified for because I didn't have "workday flexibility" e.g. I have little kids who need to get picked up from daycare at a specific time.  I thank goodness every day that I didn't get that job because it would have been discontent from day one between that employer and me.)

6) Be prepared to work outside of normal business hours on your own time as you decide.  Number 5 above is not to say that I never work late or on weekends.  There are cycles to my full-time job that require extra effort during specific times of the year.  But I choose when those times are, I make them in my own calendar and coordinate with my family, and I set specific tasks for those windows of time that don't require engagement or communication with other team members.  An example of that is reading a contract, reviewing proposals, crafting powerpoint presentations.  Those are items I can do independently without the input of other parties, and many times I will do those outside of the office as suits my family and other obligations.

7) When you do deliver your work product, make sure it is stellar and on time.  The higher quality your work, the higher quality your communication, the more likely team members are going to give you grace around your boundaries. 

8) Be consistent with your boundaries.  People take advantage of people who are wishy-washy.  Don't be wishy-washy -- be clear and kind.  Don't overpromise and underdeliver.  Be clear and deliver as promised on time.

xo
Chase








Comments

Popular Posts