The Go Slow Life and Work

For many years, I've felt like I can't keep up at work.  I've tried different "Time Management" systems or different planners or calendar/task systems, but never really felt ahead of the curve of work.

(It probably doesn't help that in the last 5 years, I've had 3 different full-time jobs, but that aside.)

I figured it was because I had a F/T job and because I have always also had a P/T job, that I just didn't have as much flexibility.

Or it was because I had a tight schedule with kids, so I didn't have enough time in the day.

Or it was because I valued time at home with my family and time at rest and therefore refused to be tied to my email after work, so I wasn't keeping up with the late-night email conversations.

But none of these were correct.

The real truth was that I was switching between tasks too often at work.  (Including tiny switches to check email, both work and personal, and glance at my phone when an alert came through.)
This behavior pattern was zapping my productivity at work.  

Once I started turning away from the distractions through deliberate practice, things started to open up.  Suddenly I had a lot more time.  Suddenly I stopped forgetting {most} things.  Suddenly I remembered where I left my keys/glasses/phone.  Suddenly I wasn't always running out of things like toilet paper and coffee.

Go slow, pay attention, be deliberate in your living.  Watch it bloom to life.

Comments

Popular Posts